Re: File URN lifetimes and SharedWorkers

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Drew Wilson wrote:
> >
> > This was recently brought to my attention by one of the web app
> developers
> > in my office:
> >
> > http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#lifeTime
> >
> > User agents MUST ensure that the lifetime of File URN <#dfn-fileURN>s is
> the
> > same as the lifetime of the Document [HTML5 <#HTML5>] of the origin
> script
> > which spawned the File <#dfn-file> object on which the urn <#dfn-urn>
> attribute
> > was called. When this Document is destroyed, implementations MUST treat
> > requests for File URN <#dfn-fileURN>s created within thisDocument as 404
> Not
> > Found.[Processing Model <#processing-model-urn> for File URN
> <#dfn-fileURN>
> > s]
> >
> > I'm curious how this should work for SharedWorkers - let's imagine that I
> > create a File object in a document and send it to a SharedWorker via
> > postMessage() - the SharedWorker will receive a structured clone of that
> > File object, which it can then access. What should the lifetime of the
> > resulting URN for that file object be? I suspect the intent is that File
> > objects ought to be tied to an owning script context rather than to a
> > specific Document (so, in this case, the lifetime of the resulting URN
> would
> > be the lifetime of the worker)?
>
> Was this ever addressed? Do I need to add something to the workers spec
> for this? Who is currently editing the File API specs?

There is a relevant discussion here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0169.html
Looks like adding an explicit createBlobUrl/revokeBlobUrl on global object,
and tying the lifetime to this global object as well (implicit revoke) can
be less confusing then current spec language.

Arun Ranganathan is editor and Jonas Sicking seems to be a co-editor.