Re: [IndexedDB] Callback order

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:16 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> jorlow@chromium.org>

> provide

> do
> on

> this

> thus

> need

> about
> >>
> >> I ran some tests. Note that the test implementation is an
> >> approximation. It's both somewhat optimistic in that it doesn't make
> >> the extra effort to ensure that cursor callbacks always run before
> >> other callbacks. But it's also somewhat pessimistic in that it always
> >> returns to the main event loop, even though that is often not needed.
> >> My guess is that in the end it's a pretty close approximation
> >> performance wise.
> >>
> >> I've attached the testcase I used in case anyone want to play around
> >> with it. It contains a fair amount of mozilla specific features
> >> (generators are awesome for asynchronous callbacks) as well as is
> >> written to the IndexedDB API that we currently have implemented, but
> >> it should be portable to other browsers.
> >>
> >> For the currently proposed solution, of always running requests in the
> >> order they are made, including requests coming from cursor.continue(),
> >> gives the following results:
> >>
> >> Plain iteration over 10000 entries using cursor: 2400ms
> >> Iteration over 10000 entries using cursor, performing a join by for
> >> each iteration call getAll on an index: 5400ms
> >>
> >> For the proposed solution of prioritizing cursor.continue() callbacks
> >> over other callbacks:
> >>
> >> Plain iteration over 10000 entries using cursor: 1050ms
> >> Iteration over 10000 entries using cursor, performing a join by for
> >> each iteration call getAll on an index: 1280ms
> >>
> >> The reason that just plain iteration got faster is that we implemented
> >> the strict ordering by sending all requests to the thread the database
> >> runs on, and then having the database thread process all requests in
> >> order and send them back to the requesting thread. So for plain
> >> iteration it basically just means a roundtrip to the indexedDB thread
> >> and back.
> >>
> >> Based on these numbers, I think we should prioritize
> >> IDBCursor.continue() callbacks as for join example this results in a
> >> over 4x speedup.
> >
> > I would like to note that this speedup is on one particular
> implementation
> > which isn't particularly optimized.  Nevertheless, that is a pretty
> > substantial difference in run times.  But yet it just pains me to think
> of
> > special casing the order of execution for just cursors. Especially when
> > we're still trying to nail down the very basics of the async API.
> > I would prefer to open a bug and leave this on the backburner for a while
> > (like other features like nested transactions).  When we do look at this,
> [...]

My entire concern at this point is too much up in the air at once in the
spec and creating complex behaviors that aren't intuitive to developers.  I
hope the former will go away in the next couple of weeks (depends on how
fast we can come to decisions and implement them in the spec).  The latter I
don't have a good answer for.  Time to research perf effects is not one of
my concerns.  (I think you're right that we'll see even more of a chance due
to multi-process latency.)