Re: Custom DOM events and privileged browser add-ons; Was: Bubbling/Capturing for XHR + other non-DOM objects

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 12:03:30 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
>wrote:
>> Well let's see: if you want to know what the XHR event flow is, then you
>> have to read the XHR specification to see whether it specifies something
>> different from the "default" regardless of whether it does or does not.
>> If it does specify the event flow, then you are done. And if it does not
>> you also have to read the DOM Events specification to learn the default.
>> So, correct me if I am wrong, but having to read two specifications does
>> not seem to be less work than having to read only one specification.
>
>You have to read DOM Events either way.

Not to answer the particular question. Sure, you might have read the DOM
Events specification, say, to figure out what Event.currentTarget is but
what it means when a specification does not define the event flow you'd
expect it to define is not something that will stick with most readers,
they will have to consult the specification just to answer the question.

(It's worse even, because some readers would not know where to check if
the XHR specification does not define it, do they have to check the spe-
cification for the `window` object aswell, or for the individual events,
considering that the propagation paths sometimes depend on the type of
event that is being dispatched, and others may jump to the conclusion it
is left to the implementation or that it's "the same" as with whatever
they are already familiar with, whatever that is.)

The event flow with respect to some object should always be defined in
the same place that defines that object to be an EventTarget, there is
no point in optimizing the one sentence it takes to define it out using
implicit indirection.