Re: [IndexedDB] What happens when the version changes?

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org> wrote:
> > What happens to existing connections that were opened against the
> original
> > database version (once the DB has been updated)?
>
> Once a call to setVersion() has happened, any existing connections
> will forever fail all requests with a WRONG_VERSION_ERR.

Ahh!  Got it.

> I guess you
> could argue that if the upgrade transaction is rolled back then we
> could "reenable" existing connections. However this just seems to be
> an optimization for an edge case and just adds needless complexity, so
> I don't think we should do it.

I don't care all that much, but I don't really see this as adding that much
complexity.  I'd be weakly in favor of an aborted upgrade not requiring
re-connection.

> Are we sure that having versions is really a v1 feature for IndexedDB?
>
> Nothing is set in stone, that's why we're still debating :)

Of course.  I was just bringing up the question because this was a feature
in the original spec that has already had a lot of "nice to have" stuff
pruned from it and this seems somewhat borderline for whether it should be
pruned.

> Though what would you propose that a website does if it needs to
> update its database format? You could always hope that the user only
> has one tab open, but that seems scary and risks data corruption.

Well, you could leave it up to apps themselves.  But then I suppose they'd
have to check whether the version has been changed every single time they
access the database....which I guess is sub-optimal.  They post a message to
all open windows, use a shared worker, or something else like that to
communicate when a database is being updated....but it'd be complicated to
do this without it being racy....

OK, I'm convinced.  :-)