Re: Widgets support

Hi Nathan,

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to find out if any of the / which common browsers support
> widgets, or plan to.
>
> The best I've been able to find so far is a chart in the widgets-landscape
> doc [1] from over 2 years ago.

See also the more up to date - contains all known implementations but
not their level of conformance:

http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetImplementation

For some conformance info, see the following (result sets are
provided/maintained by each implementer):

http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/imp-report/

> If widget support is planned or implemented in any of the major browsers,
> could somebody indicate (or point me to a document which indicates) how the
> browser handles a non-embedded widget.
>
> Namely if I create a widget entirely out of HTML5 & JS, wrap it up and sign
> it, then point a browser to the URI where it can be located, will it
> download and run in the main browser window, or other?

It would normally be run outside the browser, but the spec does not
restrict it from running inside a browser window.

http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#media-type-registration-for-applicationw

> Additionally, under what security model would it run, would CORS/UMP etc
> still apply as this seems to be at odds with the Widget Access Request
> Policy [2].

Again, this is up to the UA. A UA that downloads an embeds a widget in
a document, could use the origin to impose the same origin policy -
hence CORS/UMP applies and WARP can be ignored. In cases where the
origin is unknown, then WARP applies.

> [1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-land/#introduction
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-access/

HTH!