Re: [IndexedDB] Asynchronous inline key generation for autoIncrement'ing objectStores

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org> wrote:

> I agree this is a problem and I largely agree with your solution.  My only
> concern is performance of cloning data which will (in most cases) not even
> be used.  I wonder if the result of put should (instead of being the
> structured clone + the generated number) simply be the generated key.  When
> the keys are not auto-generated, it'd be undefined.  In the rare case the
> person wants to get the rest of the object back, they can subsequently do a
> get.

Hm, sorry if I was unclear. I think we're in total agreement. The
result of put() as currently spec'd for the async API is the key
value, not the object+key. I agree that we should keep that, and if
the user needs the object+key then they can do a subsequent get().

-Ben