Re: UMP / CORS: Implementor Interest

On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:48:57 +0200, Tyler Close <tyler.close@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Firefox, Chrome and Caja have now all declared an interest in
> implementing UMP. Opera and Safari have both declared an interest in
> implementing the functionality defined in UMP under the name CORS. I
> think it's clear that UMP has sufficient implementor interest to
> proceed along the standardization path.
>
> In the discussion on chromium-dev, Adam Barth wrote:
>
> """
> Putting these together, it looks like we want a separate UMP
> specification for web developers and a combined CORS+UMP specification
> for user agent implementors.  Consequently, I think it makes sense for
> the working group to publish UMP separately from CORS but have all the
> user agent conformance requirements in the combined CORS+UMP document.
> """
>
> See:
>
> http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-dev/msg/4793e08f8ec98914?hl=en_US
>
> I think this is a satisfactory compromise and conclusion to the
> current debate. Anne, are you willing to adopt this strategy? If so, I
> think there needs to be a normative statement in the CORS spec that
> identifies the algorithms and corresponding inputs that implement UMP.

I don't understand. As far as I can tell Adam suggests making UMP an
authoring guide. Why would CORS need to normatively depend on it?

> Before sending UMP to Last Call, we need a CORS and UMP agreement on
> response header filtering. We need to reconcile the following two
> sections:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/access-control/#handling-a-response-to-a-cross-origin-re
>
> and
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/UMP/#response-header-filtering
>
> Remaining subset issues around caching and credentials can be
> addressed with editorial changes to CORS. I'll provide more detail in
> a later email, assuming we've reached a compromise.

I think we first need to figure out whether we want to rename headers or
not, before any draft goes to Last Call, especially if UMP wants to remain
a subset of some sorts.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/