Re: XMLHttpRequest.responseBlob

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand how you envision the implementation working.
>> You can't before hand know that the implementation won't ever access
>> those properties (at least not without solving the halting problem).
>> So you'll have to keep all the data in memory, just in case
>> .reponseText is accessed.
>
> Couldn't you stream to disk, and in case responseText or responseXML
> is called then read back from disk? You'd then have to "keep all the
> data in memory" only when .responseText is used.

That requires synchronous IO, something we're trying hard to avoid.
Apple has said in the past that they are not willing to implement APIs
that require synchronous IO. And in Firefox we're working on removing
all places where it's used. Both in the implementation of various
features exposed to web pages, but also in the product itself.

/ Jonas