Re: [IndexedDB] Granting storage quotas

On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:27 AM, Mark Seaborn wrote:

> "* An e-mail web app requests an amount of storage that is large enough to store all your current e-mail, plus your e-mail for the next year at projected rates.  As this runs out, it can request more.
> * A backup web app requests an amount that is large enough to store your data."
>
> Suppose I leave an e-mail web app running on my laptop while I'm not using it, expecting it to sync my mail.  Then I take the laptop somewhere where there's no network connectivity.  I don't want to find that the e-mail app failed to fetch my e-mail because it ran out of storage and was stuck while the browser displayed a prompt that I wasn't there to see.
>
> The same goes for the backup example.  I wouldn't want to find that the backup app has failed to back up my data because it got stuck at a prompt.  This wouldn't happen if the backup app had the ability to request, up front, the amount of storage that it knows it will need.  This request might happen at the point where the user specifies what files they want the app to copy.

Is there a precedent to such behavior, say in the desktop land? These applications require a fair amount of reliability of behavior and

1. I don't know if they create a large enough file before starting to bring data over.
2. I wonder what happens when they run out of space they had originally reserved.

Nikunj