Re: Server Sent Events vs Web Sockets?

Hi,

Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote on 12/04/2010 17:58:
> Hi,
>
> Given the overlap I perceive between Server Sent Events and the Web
> Sockets spec, I would be interested to know what role Server Sent Events
> fills that Web Sockets doesn't.

A remarkable (and IMHO probably most interesting) difference being the
push-registry type of mechanism that Server Events offers
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/#eventsource-push).

If a similar (or more generic) push mechanism would be included for Web
Sockets, then I may go along with you :-)

> I understand that Server Sent Events allow for unidirectional
> communication with the server, while Web sockets is bidirectional, and
> SSE is purely HTTP-based, while Web sockets is made to switch to a lower
> level protocol, but this all points to SSE being a subset (feature-wise)
> of Web sockets.
>
> Is it only a question of timing? i.e. SSE filling the role of Web
> Sockets while Web Sockets is being finalized?
>
> Currently, the two documents don't reference each other at all; some
> clarification of their relationship in the specs themselves would be
> useful, I think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dom

-jy

--
Jean-Yves Bitterlich, Senior Staff Engineer