Re: Window Modes - best practice and scalability

Hi Richard,

On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:19 , <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com
 > wrote:
> The above [usage of MQs] could be a good method and/or using good,
> standard,
> liquid/fluid/elastic CSS design can go to some lengths to mitigate the
> rendering inconsistency of different devices.
>
> Is this best practice the generally held opinion of the WebApps group?

I don't know that the WG has formed a common and documented opinion on
this matter, but I think that the examples you give are good, and I
believe others would agree.

> My question though is whether we can go one further in our specs to
> allow for the scaling of widgets that have been developed at a certain
> resolution (with or without the best practice above) to be re-scaled
> according to the current device display.
>
> Looking around I don't see any *consistent* methods for scaling a web
> page/widget on different devices just yet, and I haven't come across
> any
> related standard even though there are what seem to be a few
> proprietary
> (?) approaches: [4] [5] & [6].
> [4] - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms890014.aspx
> [5] -
> http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/AppleApplication
> s/Reference/SafariWebContent/UsingtheViewport/UsingtheViewport.html
> [6] - http://dev.opera.com/forums/topic/250293

I don't believe that there's been any discussion on this in *this* WG,
however it was discussed as part of WICD Core in the CDF WG [0] though
I believe eventually rejected. I think the CSS WG has also talked
about it. You could also wrap your viewport in SVG and use that to
scale and adapt the content — but that might be tricky :)

[0]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cdf/2008Aug/0000.html

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/