Re: New FileAPI Draft | was Re: FileAPI feedback

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:59:46 +0200, Gregg Tavares <gman@google.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I was told on the HTML5 list that this is where network downloads
> and archive support stuff belonged.
>
> It certain seems like a good fit to me.

That is true, but it seems you conflate networking with files. Networking
is the domain of XMLHttpRequest. With XMLHttpRequest Level 2 we support
such things as progress events and cross-origin loads.

There's also the plan to add a new response"X" attribute to the
XMLHttpRequest object that returns a FileData object to link with the File
API. (Similarly send() will be even more overloaded to also accept
FileData objects.)

Now given this it would be good if you could propose your extensions
within this framework. What would be even better would just be uses
completely agnostic of any particular technology and then we can try to
find the right solution based on those use cases.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/