Re: [widgets] Making config.xml mandatory

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:12:38 +0100, Hillebrand, Rainer <Rainer.Hillebrand@t-mobile.net> wrote:

> Which different security privileges does a widget have in comparison to
> any other content? Doesn't it depend on a security policy that we do not
> define in the W3C?

While this is not yet defined by the W3C or other organizations, pre-existing implementations do indeed have different privileges:

1. Commonly, widget runtimes may ignore the same-origin policy that browsers have used
2. Some legacy implementations essentially have shell access, and bundle a set of Gnu (or gnu-like) tools
3. Filesystem access
4. Extended device API work is ongoing, such as OMTP's initiative
--
Arve Bersvendsen

Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/