Re: Call for Consensus - Selectors API to Candidate Rec

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> In addition, since this specification has a number of implementations we
> may try to have a zero-length CR period (by approving tests and showing
> that we have interoperability already) - any comments on that approach
> are welcome.

Based on John Resig's tests [1], I believe we have at least 2
interoperable implementations that pass the Selectors API conformance
requirements.  (At least Opera and WebKit).

I think the remaining failing tests are related to Selectors, rather
than the API.  In particular, Opera has some issues with substring
attribute selectors matching empty strings, and the :enabled, :disabled
and :checked pseudo-classes, and WebKit has some issues with Selector
syntax and the :target pseudo-class.

Firefox appears to have some issues that might related to the API,
though I haven't investigated the cause of those yet, so I don't know
for sure.  Unfortunately, IE8 can't run John's tests because it relies
on some DOM2 features that aren't yet supported, so the testing
framework would need to be rewritten to make it work.

I think if we incorporate those with my own tests, as well as the tests
Microsoft previously offered [2] (but which I haven't yet received),
then we should be able to organise an official test suite relatively
quickly.

[1] http://ejohn.org/apps/selectortest/#target
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/0347.html

--