Re: [widgets] Renaming "thumbnail" to "screenshot"

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think so - a screenshot is generally a static image while a
>>> thumbnail is just a small representative image. I don't think that any
>>> improvement in semantics justifies changing the spec for this.
>>
>> We already have the <icon> element as the small representative image
>> for the widget, which is why I think screenshot is less confusing than
>> thumbnail.
>
> Hi Marcos,
>
> The <icon> element can be used zero-or-more times, for example:
>
> <widgets xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets">
>  <icon src="icons/medium.png"/>
>  <icon src="icons/big.svg" width="256" height="256"/>
>  <icon src="icons/tiny.png"/>
> </widget>
>
> Is there a way to differentiate the icons  eg "mobile", "deskop",
> "favicon" etc ?

No, there is no way to differentiate icons in the way you mentioned.

> In the above example (taken from the spec) the names suggest tiny,
> medium and big - how would an application know which to choose?

The idea is that the widget user agent selects the most appropriate
icon by computing the sizes of the available icons and matching the
most suitable icon to the display dimensions of whatever rendering
context the engine has. In other words, if the engine has 16x16 and
"tiny.png" suits those dimensions without scaling, then it would use
"tiny.png". The width and height attributes are supposed to work as
the minimum size at which an icon can be used (and are only applicable
to vector graphic formats).

Kind regards,
Marcos

--