Re: http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#reserved-file-and-folder-names

Hi Kai,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Kai Hendry<hendry@iki.fi> wrote:
> What happens if people sprinkle icon.pngs for use in their own application?

Nothing. "A default icon is an reserved icon whose file name
case-sensitively and exactly matches a file name given in the
file-name column of the default icons table."

To be clear, I added the words "and exactly" to the above in the spec.

> Or use index.html in other directories?

Nothing. Treated as an arbitrary file - this was already implied in
the spec. To make this explicitly clear, I've added:

"If a user agent encounters a file matching a file name given in the
file name column of the default start files table in an arbitrary
folder, the user agent must treat that file as an arbitrary file. For
example, "foo/bar/index.html" would be treated as an arbitrary file."

> Or god forbid, put a config.xml not in the top level directory?

What do you mean? this is where config.xml are expected?

> "reserve" for me implies that Widget developers are forbidden for
> using the same filenames. i'm probably dead wrong. anyway could be
> clearer.

The spec states:

[[
Reserved means that a character, or text string, or file-name, or
folder-name has a specified purpose and semantics in this
specification or in some other specification or system. The intended
purpose for any reservation is given when the term is used.

Arbitrary means that a character, or text string, or file-name, or
folder-name is not reserved for the purpose of this specification.
]]

Is that not clear enough? Can you help me make that more clear?

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres