Re: Points of order on this WG

Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, Nikunj-
>
> I think Mike was overly blunt, but essentially correct in his
> response, but I'd like to add a specific comment inline...
>
> Nikunj R. Mehta wrote (on 6/24/09 8:13 PM):
>>
>> On Jun 23, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> The Web Storage specification is someone dead-locked right now due
>>> to the
>>> lack of consensus on whether to use SQL or not.
>
> I don't buy this argument for an instant, and I'd be very surprised if
> anyone in the WebApps WG did.  This specification was published as
> specified because it matched the behavior (more or less) of an
> implementation (WebKit), and it's disingenuous to pretend that that
> doesn't set a precedent for the future development of the specification.
This topic continues to be discussed in Mozilla newsgroups.  Few are
reconciled to SQL usage:

Example:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.community.web-standards/topics

Solutions such as BrowserCouch (which straddles localStorage currently)
offer other options: http://www.toolness.com/wp/?p=580

I'd personally rather see a clear articulation of use cases that we
agree are important for the web than further specification work.

-- A*