Re: [cors] TAG request concerning CORS & Next Step(s)

Adam Barth wrote on 6/24/2009 10:09 PM:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Bil Corry<bil@corry.biz> wrote:
>> Adam Barth wrote on 6/24/2009 6:16 PM:
>>> I've uploaded the latest draft just now:
>>>
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-abarth-origin-01.txt
>>>
>>> The draft now uses a different header name to avoid conflicting with
>>> CORS and behaves as Jonas describes.
>> Why is the spec providing a choice for how to handle redirects?
>
> It's always secure to send null in the header.  In some cases, you
> might have a really long redirect chain and the UA might want to bound
> the header to some length.
>
>> Or is it saying that if #2 doesn't apply, then #1?
>
> It says precisely what it says.  The UA MUST either do (1) or (2).
> Sometimes it can't do (2).  In those cases it MUST do (1).  Sometimes
> the UA might be able to do (2) but choose to do (1) anyway.

As written, a conforming UA could choose to always send NULL for redirects, which would be unfortunate.  More concerning though, a conforming UA could choose to always send NULL for *all* HTTP requests.  Might it be better to more strictly define the behavior?

- Bil