Re: [widgets] [preference element] question on the value attribute

Robin Berjon a écrit :
> If by text content you mean actual text content, then there is no
> difference whatsoever between what can be stored in an attribute value
> and the text content (as per DOM 3 textContent) of an element — at
> least not semantically.
JCD: I think I agree with you Robin, but Marcos writes something
different. In the IDL, both are DOMStrings right ? Is there spec text
limiting attributes ? I cannot find a

> If by text content you mean structured content, then we're talking
> about turning the preference system into an XML storage system since
> most XML constructs could appear there.
JCD: Are you not contradicting yourself ? If the two are identical in
storing possibilities, there should be no difference (if appropriate
quoting of special characters is applied).

> Do you mind clarifying which one it is you are wondering about?
JCD: It is indeed a question of allowing the users (users of widget spec
= authors actually) to place anything in the value of a preference,
including bits of XML or whatever that needs a CDATA section around it
to fit in an XML file.

To reformulate my current understanding, informed by your answer, using
an attribute vs. the text content is equivalent in terms of which
strings are allowed, but the attribute format is more difficult to
express (because more intricate quoting is needed) than the text content.
Is this clearer ? and am I correct in this last understanding ?
Thanks
JC

--
JC Dufourd