Re: File API Feedback

Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2009, at 10:16 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:01:41 +0200, Arun Ranganathan
>> <arun@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This feedback is extremely useful.  I, too, would like the chance to
>>> speak with the developers of (that particular application) as well as
>>> with other developers.
>>
>> Maciej said that the MobileMe developers gave pretty much the same
>> feedback:
>>
>>  http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090619#l-90
>>
>> Is it really that bad to wait with evaluating this feature until v1
>> is more widely deployed?
>
> Given that we're still in WD, how about simply adding a note
> indicating that this feature is under scrutiny (with pointers to this
> discussion)? If it is still under scrutiny when we move to LC we can
> make a call to keep it alive, and if it makes it through LC we can
> still mark it as "at risk"

That seems sensible.  Also, FWIW, in email exchanged on this listserv,
Hixie and I refer to "... well known web apps..." which seems at best
overly cautious.  It might be well worth enumerating the *actual web
apps* that we are using for some due diligence and use case structuring.

To date, we have heard from GMail, MobileMe, and WordPress (via the
Mozilla 2009 All Hands).  I'd like to follow up a bit more with
applications like Flickr, follow-up some discussions with WordPress,
etc.  Of course, it isn't possible to exhaustively talk to ALL web app
developers, but it seems good to have some discussion on this subject.
I'd encourage those who are able to post feedback *as developers of such
applications* to do so as well.

I'm not trying to be difficult; the objections to FileDialog have been
really useful.  It's good to be thorough :-)

-- A*