Re: File API Feedback

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, timeless wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Arun Ranganathan<arun@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > Hixie, I think a Base64 representation of the file resource may be
> > sufficient, particularly for the image use case (which is how it is used
> > already).  Can you flesh out why the new schema is a good idea?
>
> so. I have folders with 100-1000mb of pictures in them. If I decide that
> I want to upload them all (Picasa style), i'd expect it would take a
> very long time to convert each file name into a base64 url.

This is exactly the use case I had in mind, yes. data: URLs are fine for
testing and prototyping, but as a practical matter, they don't really
scale to real-world needs. For example, imagine a user uploading a local
video (~1GB) to YouTube, where the page wants to show the video in a
<video> element as (or immediately before) the user is uploading it (e.g.
so the user can set the times where ads should show). A data: URL is
clearly not an option here, I think.