Re: [cors] Review

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:35:13 +0200, Tyler Close <tyler.close@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It also leaves sites vulnerable that do IP-based authentication.
>>
>> I assume you're talking about sites on the public Internet that rely
>> solely on the client IP address for authentication, since we've
>> already covered the firewall case.
>
> I'm not too convinced that hoping the IT department deploys the new software
> correctly is going to work, to be honest. And while some heuristics might
> certainly help, that is not a solid solution.

I believe the described heuristics provide complete coverage for
resources behind my company's firewall. Is there a common firewall
configuration you are concerned about?

The proposed solution uses both heuristics and configuration, not
relying solely on either for protection.

If this technique can in practice provide adequate protection, it is a
much better solution than CORS, which undermines HTTP and webarch in a
number of ways (all discussed previously and again raised by mnot).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

>> It's also worth keeping in mind that both CORS and HTML
>> also let a POST request through to the site,  so the site already
>> needs some other way of authenticating these non-safe requests.
>
> That could be as simple as using an HTTP header <form> cannot generate.
> Also, they might be using different methods.

In which case they are already vulnerable to IP address spoofing.

--Tyler