W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > April to June 2009

[widgets] Draft Minutes from 4 June 2009 Voice Conference

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:59:30 -0400
Message-Id: <36890B66-0FC9-4183-A613-10DBCB5DEF45@nokia.com>
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the May 28 Widgets voice conference are  
available at the following and copied below:


WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-webapps mail list before 18 June 2009 (the next  
Widgets voice conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered  

-Regards, Art Barstow


       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                           Widgets Voice Conf

04 Jun 2009


       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/04-wam-irc


           Art, Robin, Thomas, Arve, Marcos, Josh, Jere, David,
           Frederick, Mark




      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review and tweak agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]DigSig LCWD comments by Vodafone
          4. [8]Widgets Dig Sig spec: agree on candidate exit criteria:
          5. [9]Widgets Dig Sig spec: Dependency on XML Sig 1.1
          6. [10]Widgets Digital Signature spec: Proposal to publish
             Candidate Recommendation
          7. [11]WAR spec: UCs and requirements
          8. [12]Prepare for June 9-11 f2f meeting Draft agenda:
             comments, priorities, etc.:
          9. [13]Open Actions
         10. [14]AOB
      * [15]Summary of Action Items

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    Date: 4 June 2009

    <arve> Zakim: P2 is me

Review and tweak agenda

    AB: I posted the agenda on June 3
    728.html). The only change I propose is to change the order of 3.b
    and 3.c. Any change requests?

      [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 

    TR: move f2f preps to end of meeting

    AB: OK; we will do that
    ... add Mark's latest email re DigSig to the agenda
    ... Robin, will you represent Mark on this call?

    <darobin> mpriestl: can you get on the call?

    RB: no, not really


    AB: I have one short announcement: for those of you following the
    Draft DAP WG Charter () discussions, Frederick has been designated
    as a Chair (along with Robin)

    DR: what is the Chair selection process?

    TR: it is mostly opaque
    ... and Team driven

    DR: if you would direct me to the Proc Doc; I'm not clear on it

    TR: sure, I can do that
    ... I think the only relevant text is "the Director will appoint the

    AB: any other announcements?

    [ None ]

DigSig LCWD comments by Vodafone

    AB: Mark submitted comments this morning which is 3 days too late
    ... my recommendation is to postpone the handling of those comments
    until after the CR is published
    ... comments on my proposal?

    MP: that is fine for VF
    ... I am sorry those comments were late
    ... I don't think any of the comments will affect Candidate
    ... one may be a bit problematic

    AB: want to emphasize we will always accept comments
    ... we do have to be careful though about moving the target date
    ... proposed Resolution: we will handle VF's LCWD comments of June 4
    during CR
    ... any objections?

    [ None ]

    RESOLUTION: we will handle VF's LCWD comments of June 4 during CR

Widgets Dig Sig spec: agree on candidate exit criteria:

    AB: a few days ago I proposed some text for the WidDigSig's
    Candidate "exit criteria"
    700.html). Any comments about that proposal?

      [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 

    <Marcos_> +a

    AB: any objections to the proposed Exit Criteria?

    [ None ]

Widgets Dig Sig spec: Dependency on XML Sig 1.1

    AB: one issue we need to discuss before resolving to publish a
    DigSig CR is "how far can this spec go in the Recommendation track
    with a normative dependency on a WD of XML Digital Signatures 1.1?".
    My understanding is PR but no further. Thomas or Mike, would you
    please clarify?

    TR: I believe your understanding is correct
    ... but I'll check
    ... I think the doc is well hidden

    AB: XBL2 has a precedence of this

    TR: let's proceed as if this won't be an issue and we can deal with
    it later if we need to

    MS: +1 to TR

    AB: we then proceed as planned

Widgets Digital Signature spec: Proposal to publish Candidate

    AB: the WidDigSig spec is ready to be published as a Candidate
    Recommendation. Any objections to that?

    MC: I have concerns about the cannoicalization aspects
    ... have they been resolved?

    TR: are these general issues or ones that can be dealt with during

    <Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to say that we have not hard-and-fast

    MC: I hear cannoicalization doesn't work

    TR: the only concern I know of is complexity

    <arve> gotta call back in in a minute

    TR: the way the spec is used tho, there is no breakage

    FH: we profiled it down

    MC: so OK, it sholdn't be too bad
    ... I heard it is difficult to implement in .NET

    TR: which cannonicalization?

    MC: the one in the spec

    TR: if .NET it could be a 1.0 vs. 1.1 concern

    <timeless_mbp> what does that mean?

    DR: yes, I think that is true

    TR: doesn't matter whether we use 1.0 or 1.1

    <fjh> what i said about profiling is this, since the case is narrow

    <tlr> ... or exclusive

    <fjh> sounds like a comment that needs to be on the list

    AB: my recommendation is that if this is an issue, it be raised
    during CR

    MC: yes, I think that is OK

    TR: this will affect interop
    ... it may be worthwhile to shift to Exclusive right now

    FH: I think that would be reasonable
    ... I don't think we need the features of 1.1
    ... let me check the spec ...
    ... 6.3 requires Canon 1.1

    <timeless_mbp> fjh: if i want to give feedback, should i to: you and
    cc: wg?

    FH: we can change to Exclusive and that would address the concern
    ... TR, is that OK with you?

    TR: Exclusive isn't strictly mandatory
    ... think Exclusive is the one to take

    MP: is there a ref that could be put in IRC?
    ... are we confident we'd end up with the same result?

    <fjh> [18]http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xml-exc-c14n-20020718/

      [18] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xml-exc-c14n-20020718/

    TR: the two disagree with the handling of namespaces
    ... and some subset [missed details ...]
    ... we don't use qnames and content
    ... only 1 case there could be some diffs and it is if gratuitous
    namespaces are used but not needed

    <fjh> proposal - change required algorithm in 6.3 from Canonical XML
    1.1 omits comments to

    <fjh> Exclusive XML Canonicalization 1.0 (omits comments)

    <fjh> [19]http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n

    AB: can we agree to make this change and also agree to move directly
    to CR?

    TR: the question is if this would "invalidate" a review?

    <fjh> also add reference for Exclusive Canonicalization

    TR: does anyone think it would?

    RB: no

    FH: I think this is the right thing to do
    ... I don't think we'll have any problems

    <fjh> proposal - 1. change required alg in 6.3, 2. add reference to
    exclusive c14n

    AB: are there any objections to FH's proposal?

    [ None ]

    <fjh> Exclusive XML Canonicalization 1.0 (omits comments)

    AB: since we agreed to make this change, are there any objections to
    going to CR directly?

    <fjh> [20]http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n

    [ No ]

    AB: propose: RESOLUTION: the group agrees Widgets Digital Signature
    spec is ready for publication as a Candidate Recommendation

    <fjh> with additional changes agreed today

    AB: any objections?

    [ None ]

    RESOLUTION: the group agrees Widgets Digital Signature spec is ready
    for publication as a Candidate Recommendation

    <scribe> ACTION: hirsch notify Art when the excl c14n change has
    been made and the SoTD is updated for CR [recorded in

WAR spec: UCs and requirements

    AB: we've had a Call for UCs and Reqs
    581.html) and two related ACTION: Action 347
    ([23]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/347) and Action
    348 ([24]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/348).
    ... besides not having agreement on UCs and Reqs, we also do not
    have consensus on the definitions of Origin nor Domain of Trust
    ... additionally, there now seems to be an attempt to add UA
    behavior for the <feature> element regarding security policy e.g.
    Robin's proposal
    ... lastly, I agree with concerns raised by some members of this WG
    about us specifying something that is going to "tie the hands" of
    the DAP WG's security policy work.
    ... any status of UCs and Reqs?

      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
      [23] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/347)
      [24] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/actions/348).
      [25] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-access/#security-model).
      [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 

    [ None ]


      [27] http://www.w3.org/mid/E3625432- 

    RB: I sent a related email

    <timeless_mbp> arve: does
    [28]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-access/ show "Copyright ©
    2009 W3C® (MIT, ERCIM, Keio), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability,
    trademark and document use rules apply." in Opera (10beta)?

      [28] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-access/

    AB: I wasn't sure how the proposal would be reflected in the spec?

    RB: has anyone read it?

    [ No responses ]

    RB: it supports one of the options we have discussed
    ... network access requires <access>

    <timeless_mbp> does the widget have access to the iframe?

    RB: but <access> does not provide access to "sensitive APIs"
    ... Arve, any comments?

    <timeless_mbp> we can't hear you

    <timeless_mbp> tlr: were you OK or Not OK w/ the original?

    Arve: I agree with a model where a doc outside of the widget does
    not get any additional access rights

    <arve> artb's summary is right

    RB: is there consensus here?

    TR: I only had a superficial review
    ... I am OK with this being added to the FPWD

    FH: I have not reviewed it

    TR: if no one has read it, we can resolve to publish it as FPWD if
    no objections by some date

    RB: I haven't reflected my email into the spec

    AB: I would prefer to get RB to reflect his input into the ED, then
    notify the group and then we can make a decision about FPWD

    RB: I can do that tomorrow

    TR: OK with me

    <timeless_mbp> so basically this spec says that a widget has as much
    access as the browser?

    AB: next Tues we can make a decision about FPWD
    ... any last comments about WAR spec for today?

    [ None ]

Prepare for June 9-11 f2f meeting Draft agenda: comments, priorities,

    AB: yesterday I tweaked next week's agenda
    a_Items) and will probably make additional small changes over the
    next few days. Any comments?
    ... the only firm time for a subject is Tues June 9 13:00-14:30 and
    it will be Security Policy. Priority will be P&C, and the issues
    related to advancing W/V Modes, A&E, WAR, and URI specs.
    ... any comments on agenda?

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/ 

    TR: I must stop at 15:00 on Tues
    ... <access> element is the highest priority

    AB: any other comments?

    <tlr> (and the widget uri scheme, ugh. Forgot about that one)

    [ None ]

    <fjh> I also have firm stop at 15:00 on Tuesday

Open Actions

    AB: please address Open actions before the f2f meeting:

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/products/8

    <timeless_mbp> ArtB: i might be able to make it if i can get some
    wiggle room w/ managers, i'll pick up transportation and someone
    will host a room, so i'd just need a manager not to complain about
    my lack of physical presence


    AB: any topics?
    ... I don't have any
    ... meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: hirsch notify Art when the excl c14n change has been
    made and the SoTD is updated for CR [recorded in

    [End of minutes]
      [37] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Thursday, 4 June 2009 14:00:31 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:12:54 UTC