From: Arthur Barstow [mailto:art.barstow@nokia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:37 PM
To: Marcin Hanclik; Marcos Caceres; Bryan Sullivan
Cc: public-webapps
Subject: Re: [widgets] P&C Last Call comments, viewmodes, referencing other specs, guarantee of consistency

Marcin, Marcos, All,

On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:14 PM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On 6/3/09 5:54 PM, Marcin Hanclik wrote:
>> Hi Marcos,

>>> What do you mean?
>> For example:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-widgets-20090528/#the-widget-element
>> "viewmodes
>>      A keyword list attribute that denotes the view modes
>> supported the widget. The value SHOULD be one or more of the
>> following valid view modes as defined in the [Widgets-Views]
>> specification: application, floating, fullscreen, mini, or all. ..."
>>
>> The question is: which spec is more normative here? P&C or non-
>> existing Widgets-Views?
>> As a WUA vendor I would like to support all possible values.
>> As a widget developer I am interesting in knowing all the options
>> I have.
>
> I understand. Like I said, we are working as quickly as we can.
> There is
> nothing we can do about this. The values are settled on; but they need
> to be spec'ed properly.

Perhaps one of the things that adds some confusion here is the P&C's
[Widgets-Views] reference is to the "Widgets 1.0: Media Query
Extension" spec whereas I believe the plan of record is for that
reference to point to a completely different document (for which
there currently is no Editor's Draft), probably titled something like
"Widgets 1.0: {Window,View} Modes".

As all of us that have attended the weekly calls over the last few
months know, the priorities have been P&C, DigSig and A&E, and Marcos
in particular has done an exceptional job to move those specs forward.

>> I can help you. Shall I answer formally to:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/
>> 0503.html
>
> We already have editors for the specs; it's just that the editors are
> caught up over editing. What we need is reviewers. The more reviews we
> get, the quicker we move. If you want to really help, keep reviewing
> what we already have. Your review of P&C has been very helpful.

Robin and Marcos have agreed to be Editors of the View Modes spec. As
always, what we need is specific inputs. Marcin, if you have some
inputs for the View Modes spec, please send them to the list. Note
too that last week, Bryan agreed to provide input for the View Modes
spec [1].

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/28-wam-minutes.html#item06

Access Systems Germany GmbH
Essener Strasse 5  |  D-46047 Oberhausen
HRB 13548 Amtsgericht Duisburg
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Michel Piquemal, Tomonori Watanabe, Yusuke Kanda

www.access-company.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments hereto may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and is intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any disclosure, copying or distribution of the information by anyone else is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this document in error, please notify us promptly by responding to this e-mail. Thank you.