Re: [widgets] P&C Last Call comments, interoperability

On Jun 2, 2009, at 12:18 , Marcin Hanclik wrote:
> I understand that the implementations may have arbitrary path lengths.
> But to ensure the interoperability from the very beginning, some
> reasonable limit could be put already.
> E.g. 1024 bytes for the maximum path length.

We've been there and done that, and it's a bad idea. It means that
content that is perfectly fine and works everywhere  is classified as
invalid. And in practice no one cares about such limitations anyway —
specifications shouldn't try to define conformance beyond what
implementers are likely to do, it's just a waste of good pixels.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/