Re: [widgets] i18n proposals document

Hi Marcos,

Thanks again for creating this document as it helps frame the
localization issues we need to address in the short-term i.e. v1 and
the long-term i.e. v2.

I found the document's proposals difficult to evaluate because I
continually asked myself "what exactly are the specific requirements
that are being addressed by each proposal?". Given this, perhaps it
would be helpful to step back a bit and flesh out the detailed
localization requirements. The localization requirements in the
Widgets Reqs doc [Reqs] are too thin to be useful in judging the
proposals. If we can get consensus on the detailed localization
requirements, they should help us more objectively evaluate the
proposals.

It seems like our goal for v1 should be to define a simple model that
will address ~80% of the use cases yet make sure that model is
forward compatible with a more sophisticated model we envision
specifying in v2.

To that end, I prefer A1 and B2 - sufficient functionality for v1.

I can't evaluate the C* and D* proposals without clear requirements.
I am still at a loss as to why there needs to a separation of the
UA's locale and the widget's locale. Perhaps it would be helpful if
you documented the use case(s) that motivate the need for both of
these. (If A1 and B2 were selected, does that make the the C* and D*
proposals moot or simpler?)

Regarding the E*, F* and G* proposals, I agree E1, F1 and G1 seem
like the better choices.

-Regards, Art Barstow

[Reqs] <http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-reqs/#localization-
guidelines>