Re: Simple approach for <access>

In our implementation we plan to use the <access> information to
provide the information needed for our whitelist proxy server; however
it would be a hint to the administrator to confirm adding the
whitelist rules requested by the widget rather than be an automated
addition to the whitelist.

So far we haven't come across a widget thats needed more than - at
most - access to a few services, all coded as a single URL or single
domain.  The only exception to the rule are RSS widgets, but these are
right at the other end of the spectrum, and would need <access
href="*"/>.

I think the wording here is perhaps phrased in an 'inverted' way:
<access> provides hints to the UA that it should permit access to the
specified resource, its not about restricting restrict access to
unspecified resources, which would seem to me to be entirely a
question for the implementation. For example, Apache Shindig ships
with completely open network access for widgets as the default.