Re: [widgets] Jar signing vs. XML signatures

On Apr 14, 2009, at 14:38, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> I think it would be more productive to help us address the issues
> that you mentioned, instead of asking us to dump everything and
> start again.

So the issues were:
  1) The complexity of canonicalization/reserialization of XML.
  2) Spec dependency on XSD.
  3) Inability to use existing jar signing tools.

If you are already profiling XML signature a lot and are already using
a detached signature file, it seems to me that you are one step away
from optimizing away canonicalization:

Instead of canonicalizing the manifest XML and using XML signature,
you could treat the manifest XML as a binary file and sign it the
traditional way leaving a detached binary signature in the format
customary for the signing cipher in the zip file. This would address
issues #1 and #2.

But then if you are signing the XML manifest file the traditional way,
you are a step away from using jar-compatible manifests. :-) This
would address issue #3.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi