Re: [XHR] No way to tell a request originates from an XHR object

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:38:30 +0200, Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org> wrote:
>> In the context of content transformation that is a problem because
>> such HTTP messages should be passed untouched by the content
>> transformation proxies: an XHR call involves that some client code
>> will be run on receipt of the response, so any transformation is
>> likely to break the content delivered by the device.
>
> As Björn pointed out this is also an issue for other APIs. It seems best
> not to do such transformations and get client software upgraded.
> However, in case there's no way around advice authors to set a special
> request header that disables the content transformation, such as the one
> you mentioned in your original e-mail.

That's a very valid point, you are absolutely right to broaden the case
to other uses and APIs!

> I hope it is ok with the Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group if I
> leave this unaddressed for XMLHttpRequest Level 1.

Sure, this was a in-case-it-could-be-useful comment and not a formal
something-is-wrong one.
Besides, I'd say your answers actually addressed the problem, even
though the result is "not in my doc!" ;-). As mentioned, from a
CT-centric point of view, the solution lies in the "Cache-Control:
no-transform" directive to address the (unfortunately existing) case
when there's no way around.

Many thanks!

Still on behalf of the Content Transformation Task Force,
Francois Daoust.