Re: [DOM3Events] keyCode and charCode data requested

Hi,

testing mainly nightly-Gecko/FF3 on WinXP:

"BackSpace", "Tab", "Pause", "PageUp", "End",
"PageDown", "Home", "Insert" "Delete" and F1-F12 dispatch also keypress

With )-", a-zA-Z0-9 and "Space" Gecko uses .charCode with keypress to
indicate the character code (keyCode is then 0)

Gecko has the same keyCodes for '+' and '-' whether the key is used in
numpad or in the main part of the keyboard. Seems like a bug in
Windows-Gecko.
In some cases also IE gives the same keyCode for keys in numpad and
keys elsewhere (like with PgDown/Up, Home, End).

On Linux keycodes with non a-zA-Z0-9 keys are quite different, but
my keyboard settings are different than on Windows.
Opera and FF show similar keyCodes on Linux.
.charCodes are the same as on WinXP.

On linux I did some testing also with Konqueror 3.5 (a bit old one, I
know) and there I managed to get keyCodes like 65444 and -92 (that was
with ¤) and keycode in keyup/down is often the same value as with
keypress. Somehow it is using character code as key code, at least
in some cases.

Ctrl+Shift+(character key) is problematic.
Safari and Opera UI interpret that as a command key, even if
the functionality is bound to Ctrl+(character key)
IE and FF don't have this problem.

If there isn't functionality bound to Ctrl+Shift+(character
key), Opera and FF dispatch similar events as with Shift+(character
key), but event.ctrlKey is set to true. No text is added to <input>.
IE and Safari behave differently. They have different
.keyCode on keypress event than without Ctrl and in some cases
keypress isn't dispatched at all. <input> doesn't get changed.

-Olli