RE: Please Review: Mousewheel Event Proposal

In these examples, I think it's up to the application to decide how to interpret the wheelDelta. For a map application, you would might get the wheelDelta info in the event plus the modifiers that are currently active, and decide that the map needs to tilt (or something like that). I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to supply different event names for different types of scrolling/zooming/etc., because it's up to the client application to define that behavior.
-----Original Message-----
From: public-webapi-request@w3.org [mailto:public-webapi-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Olli Pettay
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:29 PM
To: Web API public
Subject: Re: Please Review: Mousewheel Event Proposal

Hi,

few comments

[...]

It is open what wheelDelta means. Is it "mousescroll clicks"?
Moving finger over touchpad?
But what if system can generate several kinds of data - line scrolling
and pixel scrolling, maybe even page scrolling or screen scrolling.
Should we have different event names for different kinds of scrolling.

Should web application know somehow that what is the default action of
mouse wheel scrolling: scrolling or zooming...
On my browser ctrl+wheel is zoom, alt+wheel is slower-than-normal-
scrolling.

[...]

-Olli