Re: ElementTraversal comments

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:27:01 +0100, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure how I can make it more clear without imposing undue
> restrictions on UAs.

I'd suggest to take a similar approach as HTML5:

    The language in this specification assumes that the user agent expands
    all entity references, and therefore does not include entity reference
    nodes in the DOM. If user agents do include entity reference nodes in
    the DOM, then user agents must handle them as if they were fully
    expanded when implementing this specification. For example, if a
    requirement talks about an element's child text nodes, then any text
    nodes that are children of an entity reference that is a child of that
    element would be used as well.

  --
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-conformance.html#entity-references

--