Re: Pipelining Control Proposal

An important difference is that most other features non-uniform across
browser, not across users. A web developer can test the browsers they
are interested in supporting. It's much harder for the developer to test
the various user environments that are going to affect pipelining.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love pipelining as much as everyone else. I'm
just not convinced that adding it through XMLHttpRequest is a solution
that will help.

Another worry I have with the proposal is that I think XMLHttpRequest
would be the wrong place to implement this. It's really a HTTP feature
that should be implemented unrelated to XMLHttpRequest so that the rest
of the browser can make use of it. Once we figure out a way to do it
safely that is.

/ Jonas

Kris Zyp wrote:

> Just about every feature available to web developers is non-uniformly
> available! Pipelining is vastly more broadly available than just about
> anything we have available to us. And arguments based on the
> unreliability of pipelining have still lacked any hard evidence.
> Dropping a proposal shouldn't be based on FUD.
> The bottom line is even if some proxies don't handle pipelining,
> application authors should have the choice. Authors are aware of the
> risks and can make informed decisions when other browser features aren't
> uniformly available, and they should have the choice in this matter as
> well. We shouldn't just assume that all developers are stupid and just
> throw are hands up in despair that we can never have pipelining. That
> won't lead to progress. This is our best opportunity to have an inroad
> to pipelining, via consenting authors.
> Kris
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>

>>> xhr2.pipeline = xhr1;