Re: IE Team's Feedback on the XHR Draft

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 22:22:59 +0530, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think there are a few misconceptions about Sunava's feedback.
>
> 1) In NO WAY do we want the specification to be less detailed.  MORE
> detailed, if anything.

Yeah, we cleared that up at the technical plenary in my mind.

> 2) In fact, on that note, we're interested to see the test suite be
> linked, normatively if necessary.

Yes. I think this is a valuable piece of feedback. Currently W3C process
doesn't require test suites until you're trying to get out of CR and I
think it would be better to have them earlier.

> 3) we are not intending to block last call, and we understand the
> Process.  Sunava had promised to send comments, and has done so.  We
> would still like to see these comments addressed in the specification,
> and not simply dismissed; whether that is prior to or post LC is not, I
> think, that important.

OK, thanks. I have no intention of simply having comments dismissed. I
have held the last call question open to allow for a sensible discussion.

What I am thinking now is that we should check whether there are
substantive comments that need to be addressed before LC (on my first
reading I don't think so), and continue pretty fast to last call. I would
like the group to start checking the test cases we have against the spec
and formally agreeing them to facilitate this linkage during last call. It
slows down the LC period, but it should make CR easier and reduce the
possibility of reverting from CR.

How do people feel about that as an approach?

Finally, on the question of what we agreed at the technical plenary, the
minutes do not reflect any resolution that we agreed we would make a spec
that is 100% compatible with IE - as Anne, Jonas and Maciej pointed out we
started out working from existing implementation including IE and trying
to make a spec that is as backwards compatible as possible, but that is
*a* goal not the driving requirement.

Naturally any specific requests for technical changes are welcome either
now or during Last Call, and will be considered on their merits. We had
hoped that any such comments would have come in already but one of the
reasons for going to last call when we have run out of comments at normal
working draft is to elicit any outstanding issues.

So I plan to give it a few days (I am only partly available over the next
few days, in India, Poland, Spain, Norway in the next week) and then I'll
propose a formal consensus call on a way forward - based on the above
thoughts and comments here over the next week.

cheers

Chaals