Re: [DOM3Events] keyCode and charCode data requested

On Apr 28, 2008, at 5:40 AM, Andrew Emmons wrote:

> Regarding keyCode and charCode, we would like to request data for
> these commonly used event attributes across various implementations
> and platforms. The results should look like the following:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2006Nov/att-0047/keyCode-ie.htm
> , except that, where it is supported by the implementation, charCode
> is also tested.
>
> Please e-mail your results to this list, indicating the
> implementation and platform tested.
>
> You can use the following tools: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/tests/keys-cancel2.html
> , or http://people.w3.org/rishida/utils/keyevents/.

I did a quick test of Safari 3.1.1 with today's tip of tree WebKit
(2008-04-28) on Mac OS X 10.5.2, with an Apple Wireless Keyboard <http://images.apple.com/keyboard/images/gallery/wireless_1_20070813.jpg

The results I got exactly match <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2006Nov/att-0047/keyCode-ie.htm
 >, with three exceptions:

     1) For Caps Lock, when turning it on, I get

         20    -    -

     And when turning it off, I get:

         20    -    20

     I believe this is a bug.

     2) For Esc, I get:

         27    -    27

     So, no keypress event. Probably also a bug.

     3) I couldn't find a Pause button.

I also noticed some keys missing from that keyCode-ie chart, including
these four — ~`-+ — as well as the arrow keys.

I'm not sure what the column for keyup in that chart is good for. At
the moment it just seems to document that Tab moves you out of the
field.

     -- Darin