Re: [selectors-api] Handling :link and :visited Pseudo Classes

On Wednesday 2008-04-16 18:24 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I guess you would have to extend this to rules that use :visited or :link
> anywhere in the selector (for example before a sibling or descendant
> combinator) and make sure the getComputedStyle lies extend to descendants
> that inherit the color as well.

That was my intent.

(The user agent would, of course, have to resolve the with-history
and without-history styles eagerly, to prevent timing attacks.)

> Also, I think setting background-color may be subject to a timing-based
> attack if the default is transparent, since it will require extra rect
> fills, and setting color may be subject to a timing based attack if the
> anti-aliasing mode changes based on the color of text, resulting in
> different cost of drawing the text. I believe this is true on Mac OS X.

That's why I excluded the "alpha component" of the color.
'transparent' would need to be treated as having a 0 alpha
component.

-David