Re: Some key event handling issues of interest

Hi, Olli-

Olli Pettay wrote (on 4/9/08 7:57 AM):

> Specifying default handling is important, sure.
> Some default handling is defined in HTML5/WebForms2 and that is perhaps
> the right place for the rest of the default handling issues.

Yes, the host language should define this level of default handling.

> One important question is that what is the target for DOM Level 3
> Events? Is it only for browsers? If yes, then defining default handling
> in it makes lots of sense. But I'm not at all sure the browsers are the
> only ones to implement DOM 3 Events.

Correct, they aren't.

> This is something to remember also when specifying for example
> mousewheel handling (the latest proposal isn't browser-specific at all,
> IMO) and key event flow/handling.

Yes.

> About key event flow:
> I think if or when defining key event flow, it must be made clear that
> event handlers (for example in web page or in browser chrome) may move
> control out from the element, which means that event flow stops.

Agreed.  Good point, we will make that clear that at any point, the
sequence of events may simply be interrupted.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI