Re: Feedback from the IE Team: Web API XHR Draft

Mike Wilson wrote:
>     But it turned out in the course of developing the spec that there
>     were enough individually small differences to make such an excercise
>     fruitless.
>
> Considering that IE "invented" XHR (apart from the object
> naming), couldn't the first version of the spec just describe the
> existing IE behaviour in detail? That would match the previous wg
> intention and certainly make things easy for the IE team and their
> backwards compatibility. That would mean the first step in the following
> plan:
> 1) Describe original XHR implementation(s) in detail.
> 2) Iron out kinks and upgrade to new DOM/BOM types without adding
> functionality.
> 3) Add functionality (currently some mentioned as "future" or "Not in
> this Specification").

I would strongly argue that w3c is in the business of creating the best
specification we can based on technical grounds, not to thank individual
vendors for their great job of inventing new technologies.

What we should do is build the best spec we can to move the web forward.
  I'd be very interested to hear arguments for changes to the spec to do
that.

/ Jonas