Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> The question we should be examining is whether [text/xsl] is actually
> used in practice. If it is, then the right course of action is to get it
> registered with the IETF (and presumably marked deprecated). If it
> isn't, then we can safely require it not to be treated as XML.

My research (which is biased against non-HTML files) suggests that
text/xsl is seen about as often as the following types:

   application/x-zaurus-xls
   application/x-php
   application/vnd.adobe.xfdf
   application/x-autocad
   text/xsl
   application/octet-stream-dummy
   application/x-java-archive
   application/text
   text/texmacs
   model/iges
   application/x-dvi

I think the bias against "text/xsl" is high.

The type "application/xslt+xml" was present in my sample about 2.8 times
more than "text/xsl", and "application/xslfo+xml" was present about 1.5
times more. The type "text/x-xslt" was present about 0.1 times as much as
"text/xsl". I expect the data to be biased against "application/xslt+xml"
and "text/x-xslt" about equally. However, I expect it to be biased quite
strongly in favour of "application/xslfo+xml" (relatively speaking).

The MIME type "application/xsl+xml" appeared about 0.2 times as much as
"text/xsl", but I don't know what the bias in favour or against that type
would be.

However, this data is for all intents and purposes worthless. All of the
types mentioned in this study were seen so rarely (in the order of
0.000004% of the multibillion document sample) that the numbers are
probably swamped by the error margin.