Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

On May 14, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> It was added for compatibility with WebKit. I don't really feel
>> strongly
>> about it, ...
>
> Excellent, I then look forward to a proposal that Jonas and I do not
> regard as inappropriate.

I don't personally feel strongly about this particular issue (I don't
think it is common for sites to send text/xsl as a MIME type on the
wire), but since when is the fact that someone "regard[s] [it] as
inappropriate" a valid reason to change something? Shouldn't
reasoning be based on valid technical arguments, not feelings?

Personally I don't think lack of registration is a particularly
strong reason not to define handling for a particular MIME type. The
question we should be examining is whether the MIME type is actually
used in practice. If it is, then the right course of action is to get
it registered with the IETF (and presumably marked deprecated). If it
isn't, then we can safely require it not to be treated as XML.

I personally don't have the means to do research on this MIME type
but I am hoping someone on this list does.