Re: DOM Events

Bjoern,
Thanx very much for the prompt reply.
here tackling the EventTarget.dispatchEvent point:
(see inline)

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Jean-Yves Bitterlich wrote:
>
>> Method: EventTarget.dispatchEvent(Event evt)
>> It is unclear how to notify an application about incorrect event target,
>> when correct event is being dispatched to incorrect eventTarget by
>> EventTarget.dispatchEvent(Event evt).
>>

> Thank you for your comments. The DOM Event Model does not have a notion
> of correct event types for an event target, and there is consequently no
> way to inform applications of semantic errors it might have made. It is
> in fact difficult to see how such a notion might be defined. For example
> the DOMAttrModified event is currently defined only for Element nodes in
> the DOM Event Flow, but future specifications might re-use it to inform
> applications of changes of pseudo-attributes on processing instructions
> like xml-stylesheet. Applications might then use dispatchEvent to simu-
> late this in legacy implementations.

The feedback from our developer:

List of event types is declared in the section  "1.4.2 Complete list of
event types" of "Document Object Model (DOM) Level 3 Events
Specification"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/events.html#Events-EventTypes-complete).
Let's examine the DOMActivate UIEvent. According to this section: "Some
events will only be dispatched to a specific set of possible targets,
specified using node types.". The possible target for DOMActivate event
is an Element only (according to the table in this section). I will be
using JAVA syntax.

First step, I created an intstance of UIEvent with type DOMActivate by
DocumentEvent.createEvent("UIEvent") and UIEvent.initUIEvent(..) with
appropriate parameters.

Second step, I tried to dispatch this instance of UIEvent to Comment by
((EventTarget)someComment).dispatchEvent(.....)

Specification doesn't explain, what a DOM implementation SHOULD DO in
this case. I mean, that event target is incorrect (not suitable) in this
case (see column "Target node types" in the table of "information on the
event types" in the section 1.4.2). Also  I can't find any appropriate
notifications in specification for applications. Such notifications may
be useful for application development.

I can suggest three possible use cases for such situations:

1) Dispatch event to the "incorrect" (not suitable) event target and add
appropriate description to specification.
Cases when "event targets able to restrict the types of events which can
be dispatched to them"
2) Add new Exception to the section "Exceptions" of
EventTarget.dispatchEvent, throw it and add appropriate description to
specification.
3) Do nothing and add appropriate description to specification.

I guess that second case is more preferable for application developer.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

--
<http://www.sun.com/> 	*Jean-Yves Bitterlich*
Senior Staff Engineer

Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 20803943
HypoVereinsbank München, Konto 31 625 009, BLZ 700 202 70