Re: Network API editor's draft

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> > Note that the WHATWG version of this draft is in heavy flux; there are
> > hundreds of outstanding comments on it. Is the intent that this
> > specification replace the WHATWG version?
>
> Hmm. It is intended to be used by a similar audience. There is no
> compulsion on the WHAT-WG to remove their version at any given time, and
> maybe keeping it for now would motivate people to actually work on the
> spec.

Well, the two specs are incompatible (they define the same thing, so any
differences between the two would be a problem to someone implementing
both). So eventually, one has to go. I'd assume the intent is to
eventually drop the WHATWG one, but, well, see my comments about Window.

> > (I am reluctant to just remove the WHATWG part of the text because
> > development on the last specification for which I did that -- the
> > Window spec -- has now ground to a halt and left me with significant
> > extra work, as I now have to move the definitions back to HTML5 to
> > deal with the more complicated cases which the Windows spec says are
> > out of scope.)
>
> Yes. I am sorry that the editors of that spec have slowed down. As you
> are aware, most spec editors are squeezing it in with other
> responsibilities, which sometimes has the unfortunate result that things
> don't move as fast as hoped.

Oh I'm not complaining, and I fully understand Maciej's position and do
not at all blame him. I'm just making an observation, to explain my
reluctance to move the specs around too quickly.

> > Could you give an exact list of the changes between the WHATWG draft
> > and this one? (Ideally to the level of individual word and markup
> > changes?)
>
> No, I can't, sorry. Perhaps Gorm has time to give some reasonable level
> of detail. The summary I can provide is "it is the TCP connection stuff
> out of the spec".

I think we will need to have very, very close cooperation (to the level of
word-smithing and markup change diffs) if we want to work together on
this. If you could get such a list of changes that would be really
helpful. It would be quite a problem if we tried to keep them in sync but
in a year four that the specs have differences in the fundamental
assumptions.