Re: XHR: sending documents

On Feb 22, 2007, at 09:50, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> I would suggest to remove "(the XML declaration)" since xmlEncoding is
> not the XML declaration, and turning it into e.g. "(as derived from
> the
> XML declaration)" is unnecessarily long. The last sentence is not
> really
> appropriate for XML documents, first the requirement is essentially
> im-
> plied by the requirement that the result must be namespace well-
> formed,
> and there are other cases where the XML declaration is required,
> e.g. if
> the Document is an XML 1.1 document. I would suggest to remove
> this, or
> turn it into a non-normative note clearly indicating that this is just
> one of many requirements.

+1 to removing it.

> I think there needs to be a node clearly stating that even if you try
> to send a HTMLDocument, it will be serialized as if it were XML.

Agreed. Does the XHTML namespace get added automagically?

> It might also be worth to note that on sending, the implementation
> takes
> a snapshot of the document and subsequent modifications of the
> Document
> during async upload are not reflected in the result.

Yes, that will certainly alleviate some confusion from users who
think XML == DB.

> The main flaw here however is that it may not be possible to meet the
> requirement to create a ns well-formed document, for example, if it
> contains a processing instruction whose data includes "?>"; it is not
> possible to represent such a Document as an XML document. The draft
> has
> to address this case.

I can't think of anything useful that the UA can do on its own there,
I'd suggest throwing an exception (DOMError or some such).

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/
RDF is like violence: if it doesn't work, use more!