Re: XHR: responseText encoding detection

On Feb 26, 2007, at 4:21 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:29:28 +0100, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap-
> carbon@rambler.ru> wrote:
>> In my testing, I have found that existing implementations already
>> deduce the charset for XHR response in a way that's drastically
>> different from
>> normal page loading.
>
> But should we really make it be like that? Once HTML5 is there we
> probably want .responseXML to work for text/html documents as well
> and we probably want the encoding to be derived the same way HTML5
> specifies it should be derived.

I think it might be wiser to add a .responseHTML that works for HTML
documents in the future, since you can test for a new property from
script but you can't test for new behavior of an existing property.
And that could in principle have different rules for choosing the
text encoding.