Re: XMLHttpRequest for Last Call

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:27:53 +0100, Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK. AFAIK, Basic and Digest are not interoperable outside of ASCII,
>> and this specification provides no guidance on the encoding of the
>> credentials. Is there anything useful we can say here? Maybe just warn
>> that it isn't internationalized?
>
>That or we require a specific encoding, such as UTF-8. Anyone with an
>opinion on that?

It is reasonable to recommend use of UTF-8 if the authentication scheme
can make use of the user name and password specified by the programmer,
and the specification of the scheme fails to define how character to
byte string conversion is supposed to happen. If, however, this is well-
defined for the scheme, XHR must not contradict other specifications and
it seems unwise to require use of UTF-8 if that contradicts deployed im-
plementations, in particular for schemes besides Basic and Digest.