Re: [XMLHttpRequest] responseText decoding

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 03:53:16 +0200, Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:29:09 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Personally I would like to have things for XMLHttpRequest work
>> similarly to other content (not fetched through XMLHttpRequest), but it
>> seems this might be tricky to get right.
>
> It is indeed tricky, especially considering RFC-3023 and the 'text/*'
> media types. A lot of 'text/*' content on the web breaks RFC-3023 and
> RFC-2046, and discussions on the Atom mailing list concluded (at least
> for me) that those specifications needs to be disregarded, at least for
> all XML media types.

This issue is not about the imo bogus part of RFC3023 that says that
text/xml without a charset parameter must be treated as if US-ASCII was
specified. I'll just assume that in due course we'll have a more sensible
specification that says to treat text/xml identically to application/xml.
Especially given how widely deployed text/xml is versus application/xml.

> [...]
>
> Defaulting to anything but iso-8859-1 or UTF-8 on the web today doesn't
> make much sense, especially not US-ASCII. It made sense in the 80's, but
> doesn't any more and I strongly believe disregarding RFC-2046 in this
> regard is the right thing to do, since the compatibility of existing
> MIME parsers isn't a concern the XHR specification needs to take.

This is not the problem though. I'm not sure which part of my original
e-mail led you to think it is.