Re: Clipboard (cut, drag, drop, etc) draft

Hi Paul,

thanks for looking at the draft and for your comments.

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:33:54 -0000, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
wrote:

> Here's a few remarks that strike me at first:
>
> - I'm missing  a copy-event

that's just a straight bug I think, but I will look at it for the next
draft. The important thing for this one is to have a draft that is
formally published. I realise there are many things in the current draft
that are under-specified and under-tested.

> - you seem not to speak about standard gestures although this is
> fundamental in order to describe when a UA is expected to invoke the
> copy and paste mechanisms. I would suggest to add this within the
> security considerations...

I think this is already in the draft, but I will look at making it clearer
for the next draft...

> Some more work I've been doing on the topic has been presented at the
> MathUI workshop, see [2]. Among these articles I tried to make clear
> that the differences between CnP and DnD that copy needs to store all
> possible translations to the clipboard whereas in DnD there is
> content-type negotiation at drop time (between the source and target)
> and that only then the content-translation occurs.
> It might be possible to escape this description in this note but I think
> it is a fundamental one and expect, for example, that it should be
> possible for a drop operation to actually trigger a server request. A
> simple example of that would be the transfer of a formula into a
> graphical programme where, eg, something like a bitmap could be
> generated from the MathML (definitely needs layout capabilities of a
> server).
> So I would suggest to separate well clipboard/copy-and-paste and
> dataTransfer/drag-and-drop.
>
> Maybe we should characterize how much further than MDT this note wishes
> to go ?
> Support for any mime-types, I think, is certainly a first step that's
> wished or ?
> Late translation of DnD is also one, I hope.

Actually for version one I would like to have something that is pretty
close to what is already implemented. I also want to go beyond this to a
more useful mechanism, but I think the best approach is to get out a quick
version one, and make a version two that actually does what people really
want. Part of the challenge of that is getting commitment from
implementors too, and I think that will take more time than I want to
spend on version one.

> hope that helps.
> May I suggest concrete text bits ?

These are very helpful. You are most welcome to suggest concrete text
changes. However, I will probably suggest to the group that we don't go
too far in version one and instead work towards a version two which
actually moves beyond today's limits. I am happy to start working on that
while we are still working on version one, since it can be helpful to
identify what we are trying to do in general.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com