Re: [File Upload] Security problems with File Upload

Hi Ian,

On Sep 22, 2006, at 17:15, Ian Hickson wrote:
> It seems like it would make it possible, through an attack like the
> famous
> fast clicking game, to cause a user to select a file (probably at
> random,
> but from the user's home directory, so likely a confidential file).

There are well-known workarounds for this, notably delayed activation
of the dialogue. This could be noted in the specification.

> I would feel much more comfortable if the FileList API was provided
> merely
> as an extension to the HTMLInputElement interface, thus requiring
> authors
> to use an <input type=file> control, and requiring users to click the
> Browse button before the dialog would appear.

The problem with this solution is that it then requires that the
environment supports <input type=file>, which isn't always the case.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist