Re: typing of drag/drop objects in clipboard

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> There is a lot of architecture in the clipboard.
> I think it is important that the WebAPI clipboard is very web
> architecture compatible.
Definitely agreed. Charles has set that a full-fledged-clipboard
specification was thought as version 2, trying to get version 1 as soon
as possible out with (almost?) IE and Safari compatibility. I'm afraid
that this means the clipboard is limited in content-types (URL, text, I
fear).
> Desktop clipboards, like HTTP, have concepts of type negotiation.
Definitely!
> It would be logical to make the clipboard type in WebAPI carry
> content-type
> [and later negotiate it].
I always thought the clipboardData to be a map associating mime-types to
data... extending this is not an issue I believe.

I wonder, however if the copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop negotiation
wouldn't take advantage of being more HTTP-like. E.g., the current
architectures I know do not say anything about the recipient and
provider application names... whereas this is a classical http header.

paul