Re: XMLHttpRequest: Why list HTTP method names

Subbu Allamaraju schrieb:
 > Few points -
 >
 > (a) I don't think the question is whether it is hard to implement a
certain method or not. It certainly is possible to implement. I'm trying
to find the rationale.

 > (b) IMO, XHR spec is concerned about specifying the semantics of what
happens when a given implementation does not understand/support a
particular method - this is correctly addressed by specifying that it
should throw a SYNTAX_ERR. But saying anything beyond this would be
limiting.

Of course it's limiting, but I would say this is on purpose.

 > (c) We're considering designing wrapper implementations of
XMLHttpRequest (e.g. an implementation of XHR in script wrapping a
native XHR object) to solve some use cases related to UI aggregation
(e.g. apps aggregating UI components - portlet being an example of a UI
component). However, in this case, one of the issues we find is the need
to support methods other than GET and POST - there is no semantic
mapping of HEAD, OPTIONS etc in this use case, and so a wrapped

HEAD ist the same as GET, expect that there is no response body. If you
can do GET, you can do HEAD.

 > implementation would not be able to conform to this requirement. I
hope this is a concrete-enough example for my argument.

I'm not sure I follow. XHR is a component that enables user agents to do
HTTP. I can see why a *server* wouldn't implement DELETE (for instance),
but why that component?

Best regards, Julian